Mother of 6-Month-Old Baby Arrested for Murder

Major Crimes Detective Investigation into the Baby’s Death Continues

Spokane Valley Major Crimes Detectives arrested 27-year-old Skye M. Metcalf, charging her with Murder 2nd Degree for the death of her 6-month-old baby.

On June 11, 2018 at approximately 1:15 p.m., Spokane Valley Deputies responded to MultiCare Valley Hospital’s emergency room for the report of an unresponsive infant who was brought in with severe head injuries by her parents, Metcalf and 24-year-old Anthony R. Stedeford. A short time later, the infant was pronounced deceased by the attending doctor.

The initial information provided to the responding Deputy was Metcalf tripped with the baby in her arms. As she fell, the baby flew from her arms, hit a baby walker and fell to the floor. Metcalf stated Stedeford was not home at the time of the accident.

Medical staff stated the observed injuries did not appear to be consistent with the reported account of the incident.

Spokane Valley Major Crimes Detectives responded to the hospital to continue the investigation.

Stedeford was found to be in violation of a Domestic Violence (DV) No Contact Order and was arrested Monday afternoon in accordance with the order.

During an autopsy on Tuesday, the Medical Examiner’s Office observed the infant suffered multiple impacts to her face and scalp which were not consistent with accidental injuries. The cause of death was determined to be “complex skull fractures from blunt impacts to the head”, ruling the manner of death as homicide.

Major Crimes Detective Scott Bonney located and arrested Metcalf and brought her to the Public Safety Building to be re-interviewed. After being advised of her rights, Metcalf continued with her fabricated story regarding the injury and subsequent death of her baby. She eventually said she was frustrated with Stedeford due to a recent argument. She admitted she intentionally and forcefully pushed the infant face-first into her basinet causing the injuries to the baby’s face. She also punched the infant twice, with a closed fist in the back of her head in the area consistent with the observed skull fractures. A short time later, her baby stopped crying, became lethargic and then unresponsive. Metcalf stated Stedeford was not present during the assault and she called him after, telling him she accidently dropped their baby.

Stedeford was also re-interviewed at the Public Safety Building and eventually released without charges.

Metcalf was booked into the Spokane County Jail for Murder 2nd Degree (DV) with Aggravating Circumstances with a bond currently set at $1 million.

A domestic violence argument in front of a residence quickly escalated when the suspect loaded a shotgun and pointed it directly at the victim and a neighbor who witnessed the incident. The Spokane Valley SWAT Team responded to the location and after several hours, successfully took the suspect into custody.

On July 2, 2018 at approximately 5:15 p.m., Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call where a male, reportedly armed with a rifle, pushed a female in front of a residence located in the 500 block of S. Custer in Spokane Valley.

When Deputies arrived, they established a perimeter around the involved residence and blocked the roadways due to the reported weapon. Neighbors in the immediate area were advised to stay in their residences. Deputies gave announcements via their patrol car PA systems advising the people inside the involved house to exit with their hands visible but the announcements were ignored.

With the suspect, later identified as 58-year-old Brian F. Roesler, believed to be armed and additional weapons reported to be inside the residence, the Hostage Negotiation Team, SWAT Team, Spokane Valley Fire Rescue Task Force and members of the Explosive Disposal Unit were requested.
Hoping to end this incident peacefully using planning, equipment and tactics, the teams took control of the scene while a search warrant for the residence Hoping to end this incident peacefully using planning, equipment and tactics, the teams took control of the scene while a search warrant was requested and granted.

Continual announcements were made for Roesler to surrender peacefully while Negotiators attempted to make contact with him. 
Approximately four hours later, Roesler was coaxed into exiting the residence. He remained defiant, continued to yell obscenities and failed to follow commands to keep his hands visible while continually reaching down toward his waistband area. Not knowing if Roesler was armed and with his continued failure to follow commands, SWAT Team members used restraint, held their position of cover and continued to work toward peacefully taking Roesler in custody.

When Roesler turned and started to walk back toward the residence, SWAT Team members quickly moved in to prevent Roesler from accessing the weapons believed to be in the residence, brought him to the ground and successfully placed him in handcuffs.
During a search, three shotguns, over 190 rounds of 12ga and .22 caliber ammunition were recovered. 
Roesler was transported and booked into the Spokane County Jail for Assault 1st Degree (DV) and Assault 1st Degree.